DWSS is headed by a Director General who is supported by two Deputy Director Generals. In addition to the financial management and administration sections there are the following ten technical divisions in the department each headed by a senior divisional engineer.
- Drinking Water Quality Improvement and Monitoring
- Human Resources Development
- National management information
- Sewerage Development and Management
- Environmental Sanitation and Disaster Management
- Progress monitoring evaluation and design
- Foreign Assistance Coordination and Planning
- Appropriate Technology and Rainwater Harvesting
- Electro Mechanical and Repair Maintenance
- NGO and Community mobilization
DWSS has its divisional (or sub-divisional) offices in all the 75 districts of the country. These divisional offices are staffed with water supply and sanitation engineers, sub engineers, technicians, women workers and supporting administrative and account staff. These divisional offices support the users committees in implementing the government’s water supply and sanitation program. Besides working as the member secretary of the district water resources committee, that approves registration of users committee, water source and permission for carrying out feasibility study, the divisions also have the mandate of coordinating the district level activities of other agencies working in the sector. The work of the division offices are directed, supervised and monitored by Regional Monitoring and Supervision Office, one in each of the five regions, each headed by a Regional Director.